Feb 16, 2013

Dollirium!


I have wanted to visit Dollirium, London, Ontario's art doll gallery, since October 2011 when Mom and I spotted a poster in a bookshop in London while we roamed the streets before our Lost Soul Stroll ghost tour.  It has taken until now, with the latest poster up on the fridge since last Hallowe'en, but finally we made it!  (Thank you for stopping with the snowing, Mother Nature, much appreciated!)
Dollirium is a sight to behold!  Never before have I seen so many dolls of such variety and in so many mediums, and most with a dark twist or blatantly goth!  The imagination contained in this small gallery is keenly inspiring.  This is a photo of just the front room.

I was in contact with Jacqui Gallant (pictured right) before our visit as I'd wanted to know more about her creation "Jack Frost" so when we arrived it was nice to meet in person and browse the gallery with Jacqui available to answer our questions.  I wish I could remember all the names and information she shared but I was a tad overwhelmed!!  If I had the money and space I would have made a number of artists rather happy!!! 

The piece that was the most awe-striking was "Buddy" the bunny, whom we named the won-ton bunny because his skin looks so much like the rice paper you use for spring rolls... perhaps we should call him Spring Roll instead, suits a bunny!  Like a skinned rabbit, this see-through skin was colored just right and the wrinkling and the ribs sticking out were incredble and the teeth were awesome too! 

Not to everyone's taste, for sure! I suppose our reaction was a bit like looking at road-kill:  there's repulsion and fascination at the same time!  LOL!  Applause to the artist, Melissa Panth!
 
Another favorite was "Midnight Dance" by Nick McMahon... I really still like this piece but we just didn't connect, or maybe my eyes were so completely enchanted by "Jack Frost" that the zombie didn't stand a chance.    














Jack was beautiful in his photo on the website but seeing him in person... And having the chilling feeling that he was looking back at me... It was love at first sight, but he's just a head and this always was an issue.  Jacqui, however, even though she'll have to ask others for advice (since he'll have to have his skeleton built and head attached after the fact) is going to create his body and make him whole!  I am so happy, and happy knowing that, when she was working on him, she wished that he was to be a whole doll too.  So now it will happen and Jack will come and live with me!  I think he will get along handsomely with the characters in my collection! 

(By the way, Jack's photo and Jacqui's photo are from The Forest City Fashionista's blog:  http://www.forestcityfashionista.com/2012/03/garden-of-hedon-at-dollirium.html and http://www.forestcityfashionista.com/2012/12/the-island-of-misfit-dolls.html  Thank you Shelley!)

Two other pieces that stood out were "Syd Screamer" by Caroline Jones and "Mortal Coil" by Kamilla Meesters, a really spooky piece with, as you can see, a demonic hand pulling the lady back, digging into her perfect flesh:
 
Unfortunately two of my favorites are not included on Dollirium's site yet, "Elliot" by Michelle Di Pinto and a piece I don't know the name of but the writing on the artwork was "I've dug myself a hole so deep I don't know how to get out" or something very similar and was very striking.  Elliot was a sweet little boy, I almost think I could keep him on my desk at work... but like all things at Dollirium he had a delicious, creepy oddness to him... well, you'll just have to go see for yourself!  The poster with the details is right on top or visit the website.  And tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment