Sep 8, 2020

Finding Zen

 Of course I didn't find Zen (if you know me at all, you know I'll never be Zen-like!).  

But I did find my COVID19 critter!  Since it's not possible to go to any shows (and there are few and far between) and only online versions are available, I've been hunting for the perfect addition to my collection from home.  I browsed all the good shows as they came up (and can recommend the eBears shows and the Bearhugs4you shows) but I didn't find anyone who spoke to me.  I have to admit, imagination seems to be lacking, probably a victim of COVID19.   Anyway, finally in August things began to open up here in earnest and with safety protocols in place we could start to explore around Mount Forest.  Hanover was one of our first stops, which has a lovely main street and the Hanover Flea and Farmers' Market.   

And at the Market we explored the isles and on a top shelf I spotted a Steiff Waldi.  A Steiff in excellent condition!  I rolled him around in my hands, checked for moth damage, slid my mask down so I could sniff him for mildew or smoke, and debated his price.  He has his button, his yellow ear tag and original green leather collar too.  

I'm very familiar with Waldi as he has been a character in my life since childhood:  my sister has a life-sized one that was a gift from my grandmother.  It was therefore particularly nice that of all the Steiff out there I should find a Waldi of my own.  And I named him Zen because in 2020 that what you need most!   




So despite all the hurdles and being disappointed with the online offerings, I added one perfect pup to my hug.  

And thank you Rose for using all your reference guides in an effort to try to date my Waldi!  It seems that the 1970s were a time when Steiff didn't really record its creations well.  






And now?  With Hallowe'en coming, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Bewitching Peddlers of Halloween show on September 19!

No comments:

Post a Comment