Mar 20, 2024

Something wicked...

Honestly, I had no idea what he was going to look like, I just wanted to make a friend for Mort.  So I made skinny fingers, like Mort's, in green, and a skeleton the same size as his.  


I then decided he would have horns, so I added extra toes so he'd balance well with the weight of the horns, which are dyed shell slivers from a butchered necklace (from the days when I made dragons).



The horns were wired into place and then I built his form.

It was a wild ride and at one point I thought I'd give up and put him away for a bit... but I kept going and his gangly arms became more ape-like, his hands took shape and his short legs more muscular.



In the end, I had an ape-like beast that looked better on all fours than standing upright... kinda scary, actually, I bet he could move really fast and climb well!  

So for a face... what does he look like?  I thought a wider face might soften his look, and also  bigger ears.


Of course I wanted the ears to be poseable, so I used a very thin green 28 gauge wire and gentled felted two sweet ears.


They turned out to be just the thing he needed on his wide face, a bit like a koala?  Hmm.


He got the same eyes as Mort, sunk deep into eye sockets, and the same kind of mouth.  

And here he is!  Mort loves him, they are best buddies!



He needs a name, though... any suggestions?

He was made with Corriedale "Fern" from Long Grass Studio and 100% Merino wool "Hojas" from Malabrigo Yarn



No comments:

Post a Comment